Twitch announced that it is implementing a number of restrictions to the Twitch Gambling category on its live-streaming platform. The Amazon-owned streaming company believes that many streamers promote unsafe gambling habits in a way that is potentially harmful to the community, as viewers do not typically have the wealth or protections of a Twitch partner.
As a result of this, Twitch confirmed that it will "be making a policy update on October 18th to prohibit streaming of gambling sites that include slots, roulette, or dice games that aren't licensed either in the U.S. or other jurisdictions that provide sufficient consumer protections." Twitch stated that it will be releasing a fully detailed policy update that explicitly states which websites are banned and which are permissible. However, it is important to note that this does not apply to in-game gambling with services such as loot boxes or random in-game elements.
Image Credit: Shutterstock
Twitch Announced it is Banning Gambling on its Platform
1. Digital Anti-gambling Regulation - The trend of adding digital anti-gambling regulations has created a need for software solutions that adhere to policies while providing satisfactory user experiences.
2. Livestreaming Regulation - The trend of regulating livestreaming platforms opens up opportunities for startups to develop new tools that aid in policy compliance and provide better experiences for users and creators.
3. In-game Monetization Innovation - The shift towards in-game gambling through loot boxes provides an opportunity for gaming companies to develop new and creative ways to monetize their games without running afoul of regulations.
1. Gaming - The gaming industry must adapt to new regulations and policies, and companies that provide solutions that help with policy compliance and provide a better user experience stand to gain the most.
2. Streaming Platforms - Companies that own or operate livestreaming platforms have a responsibility to create policies that protect users, and software solutions that aid in policy compliance and provide a better user experience will be in high demand.
3. Gambling Regulations - The trend of implementing digital anti-gambling regulations presents opportunities for companies that provide efficient and effective solutions to aid in policy compliance and provide a better overall experience for users.