Birthday cake has now become a standalone, mainstream flavor that can be found putting a fun new spin on a variety of food and beverage products, including the new Birthday Cake Popcorn from Trader Joe's.
The festive popcorn treat boasts a vanilla-flavored glaze that is topped off with colorful sprinkles. Trader Joe's takes care to note that "it’s certainly something to celebrate—especially since, unlike most 'birthday cake-flavored' treats out there, we don’t use any artificial flavors or synthetic colors." While the flavor of the glaze comes from vanilla extract and other natural ingredients, the sprinkles get their color from black carrot juice concentrate, radish powder and curcumin—the main active ingredient in turmeric, which is known for its distinctive yellow color.
Trader Joe's Birthday Cake Popcorn Has a Vanilla-Flavored Glaze
1. Birthday Cake Flavored Snacks - Opportunity to innovate by creating more snacks that play on the popular birthday cake flavor trend.
2. Natural Ingredient Sourcing - Opportunity to innovate in food production by finding natural ingredients to provide similar flavors and colors to popular artificial ingredients.
3. Colorful Snack Additions - Opportunity to innovate in snack production by adding visually interesting and colorful toppings to various flavors of popcorn, chips, and other snack items.
1. Snack Foods - Snack food manufacturers can capitalize on the trend of unique and exciting flavors by creating similar reinventions of classic snack foods.
2. Natural Food Production - Natural food production companies can differentiate themselves by creating snacks and treats that are free of artificial flavors and colors.
3. Food Color and Flavor Additives - The food color and flavor additive industry has an opportunity to innovate by developing new, natural ingredients that replicate the taste and color of popular artificial additives.