Trace Architecture Office has completed the design for a bookshop and cafe. The hybrid establishment is located in the Fuijian province, on the outskirts of Xiadi Village. The building has an interesting aesthetic that is balanced between the mysterious quality of the old and the inviting property of the new.
Two of the walls of the Paddy Field Bookstores are actually remnants of an old abandoned house in the region. Trace Architecture Office sandwiches the business between the "old rammed earth gables." The new portion, the one that houses the bookshop and the cafe, is made with contemporary sensibilities in mind. It is also fully glazed, revealing a nice look at the surrounding scenery. The old and new offer a nice juxtaposition.
Image Credit: Chen Hao, Zhuo Yuxing
Trace Architecture Office's Design Boasts Old & New Elements
1. Hybrid Commercial Spaces - As more businesses combine different commercial spaces, there are opportunities to create unique interior designs that blend the old and new elements.
2. Rammed Earth Construction - The use of rammed earth in modern buildings offers sustainable and aesthetically interesting design alternatives to traditional materials.
3. Transparent Architecture - The integration of large glass panels into building designs continues to offer a disruptive innovation opportunity for architects and designers looking to create appealing visual effects.
1. Hospitality Industry - Hotel and restaurant owners can create unique experiences by incorporating unconventionally designed bookstores within their premises.
2. Retail Industry - Retailers can blend old and new design elements to create unique shopping experiences for their customers, increasing brand loyalty and sales.
3. Architecture and Design Industry - Architects and designers can continue to experiment with unconventional design elements, such as rammed earth construction and transparent architecture, to create unique and sustainable designs for commercial spaces.