Walk down any toy aisle and the doll options for boys will likely be all oriented towards combat or superheroes, so the 'Melanites' toy company is looking to change this.
Developed by graduate student Jennifer Pierre, 'Melanites' creates dolls for boys of color that are oriented towards real-life personalities. This allows boys to be more connected to their toys by picking a doll that's into solving problems, tinkering with things, reading books or storytelling.
The 'Melanites' toy company is currently being funded as part of a Kickstarter campaign to bring the dolls for boys of color to market. Those looking to invest now and pick up a doll for their child can do so now for under $100 with delivery taking place early next year.
The 'Melanites' Toy Company Creates Toys for Boys of Color
1. Inclusive Dolls for Boys - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop a line of dolls for boys that reflect diverse backgrounds and interests, moving away from the traditional combat and superhero themes.
2. Representation in Toy Industry - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Create more toy options that cater to underrepresented demographics, allowing children to feel a stronger sense of connection and inclusion with their toys.
3. Changing Gender Stereotypes in Toys - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Challenge gender norms by producing dolls that encourage boys to explore problem-solving, tinkering, reading, and storytelling, breaking away from traditional gendered toy categories.
1. Toy Manufacturing - Disruptive innovation opportunity: As a toy manufacturer, capitalize on the growing demand for inclusive toys, specifically targeting boys of color, to tap into an underserved market segment.
2. Crowdfunding Platforms - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Offer crowdfunding platforms or services that specifically support projects like 'Melanites' to help promote and bring to market inclusive toys that challenge traditional industry norms.
3. Retail and E-commerce - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Create online retail platforms or e-commerce channels that focus on selling inclusive toys, including dolls for boys, to meet the demand for diverse and representative toys in the market.