Every year, Doritos runs its Super Bowl commercial contest called 'Crash The Super Bowl.' They welcome amateur ad makers from anywhere in the world to submit their own commercials. This video features the original Doritos girl Ali Landry introducing this year's top five picks.
The ad that ranks highest on the USA Today's ad meter gets the chance to work with Michael Bay on the next Transformers movie. If one of the Doritos ads ranks number one on the USA Today ad meter, the creator will get a $1 million bonus. The number one spot has been Doritos three of the last four years.
Most of these commercials are funny and all but one feature either children or pets. This is an interesting consistency.
This Super Bowl Commercial Contest has Become a Doritos Tradition
1. Amateur Super Bowl Ad Contests - There is a growing trend of amateur ad makers participating in Super Bowl commercial contests, showcasing their creativity and potentially disrupting the advertising industry.
2. Crowdsourced Brand Promotion - Brands like Doritos are embracing crowdsourcing to engage their audiences and create innovative commercials, opening up disruptive innovation opportunities for other companies to leverage user-generated content.
3. Humor and Emotional Appeal in Commercials - The consistent use of humor, children, and pets in amateur Super Bowl commercials highlights the trend of leveraging emotional appeal and relatability to capture audience attention, presenting opportunities for brands to foster deeper connections with consumers.
1. Advertising - The rise of amateur Super Bowl ad contests presents a disruptive innovation opportunity for the advertising industry to explore new ways of engaging and collaborating with talented amateur ad makers for creative brand promotion.
2. Film and Entertainment - The partnership between the winning amateur ad maker and director Michael Bay in the next Transformers movie showcases the disruptive innovation potential for the film and entertainment industry to tap into fresh talent and ideas through collaborative initiatives.
3. Consumer-packaged Goods (CPG) - Doritos' successful use of consumer-generated commercials demonstrates the potential for the consumer-packaged goods industry to leverage user-generated content as a powerful marketing tool, enhancing brand visibility and authenticity.