Summer Wheat is the kind of artist whose work punches you in the gut at first glance. An Oklahoma City, Oklahoma native, Summer Wheat creates the type of art most people would describe as "abstract," but she prefers to describe as "failed representational sculpture."
Regardless of the words used to place Summer Wheat's work into a genre, it is confounding, gripping, and distinctive. By eschewing the conventions associated with traditional abstract art, Summer Wheat has done something many artists spend their whole lives trying to do: create a unique and distinguishable aesthetic. "My paintings are full of messy human content: dorkiness, disappointment, humor and loss," she said. "They are impersonations in which the emotional content overwhelms the physical. Fascinated by vulnerability, I exalt in the incomplete."
Well, let's exalt too. Look through Summer Wheat's selected portfolio to see what the hype is about.
Implications - One of the most effective ways a brand can differentiate itself from the masses is by featuring advertising that is immediately distinguishable because of surrealist or abstract imagery. Once the brand trains consumers to expect its ads to be outlandish, radical, or unconventional, the brand embeds an image of unpredictability and wild creativity in consumers.
Summer Wheat Makes Art Out of Disfigured Faces
1. Distinguishable Aesthetic - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Brands can differentiate themselves by featuring advertising with surreal or abstract imagery, creating a distinguishable aesthetic.
2. Unpredictability in Advertising - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Brands can embed an image of unpredictability and wild creativity in consumers by consistently showcasing outlandish and unconventional ads.
3. Messy Human Content - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Artists can explore the concept of messy human content, focusing on vulnerability and incomplete depictions, to create unique and distinctive artwork.
1. Advertising - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Advertisers can employ abstract or surreal imagery to create distinguishable and memorable advertisements.
2. Art - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Artists can experiment with the concept of messy human content and incomplete depictions to develop their own distinct style and approach.
3. Branding - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Brands can embrace unpredictability and wild creativity in their advertising to stand out from competitors and build a unique brand identity.