Solar Roadways is a project to develop and build energy-efficient road surface materials that make use of solar energy. Instead of asphalt, toughened PV panels are used, which include embedded lighting that can act as road markings and driver alerts,
Each panel is equipped with PV cells, circuit boards, 128 programmable LEDs and a heating element to get rid of ice and snow. They are topped with 'super-strength' textured glass, which has proven to be highly sturdy and impact-resistant.
The first prototype parking lot is comparable to a 3,600 Watt solar array, although the amount of power collected depends on the amount of sunlight exposure. Power and data cables are neatly organized in a 'cable corridor' alongside the parking lot, providing easy access to power companies performing maintenance or looking for data.
The 'Solar Roadways' Parking Lot Harnesses Solar Energy
1. Energy-efficient Road Surface Materials - Solar Roadways is developing toughened PV panels as road surface materials that harness solar energy, presenting opportunities for energy-efficient road construction and maintenance.
2. Embedded Lighting for Road Markings - The use of PV panels with embedded lighting in Solar Roadways' parking lots offers disruptive innovation potential for road markings and driver alerts, enhancing safety and visibility.
3. Integration of Power and Data Cables - Solar Roadways' 'cable corridor' design, which organizes power and data cables alongside the parking lot, opens up possibilities for streamlined maintenance and data collection in infrastructure projects.
1. Infrastructure Construction - The development of energy-efficient road surface materials by Solar Roadways creates disruptive opportunities in the infrastructure construction industry, revolutionizing road design and maintenance.
2. Renewable Energy - Solar Roadways' use of toughened PV panels to harness solar energy in parking lots contributes to the disruptive innovation in the renewable energy industry, promoting sustainable and efficient power generation.
3. Smart City Technology - The integration of power and data cables in Solar Roadways' designs fosters disruptive innovation potential in the smart city technology industry, enabling efficient infrastructure management and data-driven decision-making.