From high-tech computers and intuitive gadgets to self-driving cars and now, robotic dresses, technology has been infused in our ways of thought, perception and fashion identity.
The two autonomous silhouettes are responsive to their environment. Designed by Montreal-based fashion creative Ying Gao, the robotic dresses "ripple, expand and contract," with reference to their surroundings, and do so "as if they are alive." 'Flowing Water' and 'Standing Time' are the names, given to the autonomous clothing.
The robotic dresses are equipped with tiny cameras -- linked to a raspberry PI computer, as well as color and light sensors. This is how the garment gathers information. The appropriate responses are initiated through the series of actuators and magnets. These are "interlaced with silicone" within the fabric.
Photo Credits: Dezeen
Ying Gao Pioneers a Robotic Dress Design in the World of Fashion
1. Autonomous Fashion - The use of robotics and technology in fashion design is creating autonomous garments that respond to their environment.
2. Responsive Clothing - Fashion designers are creating garments that ripple, expand, and contract based on their surroundings, creating a unique interactive experience.
3. Intelligent Sensors - Tiny cameras, color sensors, and light sensors are being integrated into clothing, allowing garments to gather information from the environment.
1. Fashion Design - Fashion designers can explore the possibilities of autonomous fashion by incorporating robotics and intelligent sensors into their designs.
2. Technology - The technology industry can develop advanced sensors and actuators for use in responsive clothing, fostering innovation and creativity in fashion.
3. Consumer Electronics - Consumer electronics companies can explore collaborations with fashion designers to integrate their technology into garments, creating a new market for smart fashion.