A company from British Columbia called HitchPlanet is now offering a new kind of ridesharing service that combines carpooling and hitchhiking. While there are benefits to carpooling from a cost and environmental perspective, it's not always easy to find someone who is going the same way without some organization before a trip. While many drivers are apprehensive to let strange people on the side of the road into their vehicles, HitchPlanet aims to make both of these ridesharing types safer and easier to partake in.
If you know that you'll be headed on a trip somewhere soon, as a driver you can post the number of extra seats you have on HitchPlanet. The service is free to drivers, and passengers pay a small fee to cover the costs of going along for a ride.
As far as how HitchPlanet sees itself in comparison to other companies that have disrupted the transportation industry, HitchPlanet founder Flo Devellennes says: "Uber is kind of misleading people into thinking they're a ride share. They're more of a taxi company that operates within cities."
HitchPlanet Combines Carpooling and Hitchhiking
1. Hybrid Ridesharing - Ridesharing services that combine carpooling and hitchhiking for a safer and easier experience.
2. Cost-effective Trips - Offering passengers a cost-effective mode of transportation and drivers a free service to fill extra seats.
3. Community-based Mobility - Promoting a community-based mobility platform that offers a safe, easy and sustainable travel experience.
1. Transportation Industry - The transportation industry can innovate and adopt new technologies to offer affordable mobility services.
2. Ride-hailing Services - Ride-hailing services can partner with carpooling and hitchhiking services to broaden their market reach.
3. Sharing Economy Industry - Sharing economy industry can explore hybrid ridesharing models to promote sustainable mobility and generate revenue.