Most people are familiar with Shazam and its ability to identify music, but Glitch's new Record Player app takes it a step further by giving users the ability to stream music just by taking a photo of an album cover. Designed by Patrick Weaver, the app was built using on Fog Creek Software's collaborative app-building platform, Glitch. While the Record Player app was built using the Glitch platform, the app also utilizes the Google Cloud Vision API and the Spotify API to read and connect to streaming services.
At its core, the Record Player app functions using Google's AI software to identify album covers before connecting it to a streaming service. This basic function drives the utility of the app, but users can also take advantage of the software to match albums to any picture they take. Users can also upload images to the app to match to an album.
Image Credit: Patrick Weaver
The Record Player App Reads Photos and Matches Them to Corresponding Music
1. Image-recognition Apps - The success of Glitch's Record Player app showcases the potential of AI-powered image recognition technology beyond just music identification.
2. Collaborative App-building Platforms - The use of Glitch's collaborative app-building platform to create the Record Player app demonstrates potential opportunities for other companies seeking to streamline their app development processes.
3. Voice-activated Music Streaming - While Glitch's Record Player app uses photos to stream music, expanding the app's capability to use voice commands, similar to Siri or Alexa, could create new opportunities for the music industry.
1. Music Streaming - Glitch's Record Player app provides a new way for users to stream music and could potentially disrupt the music streaming industry model.
2. App Development - The Glitch platform revolutionizes app development in a way that could significantly impact the app development industry as a whole.
3. Artificial Intelligence - The Record Player app's use of Google's AI software, along with Spotify's API, highlights potential opportunities for the AI industry, particularly in the realm of image recognition technology.