Mozilla's Project Things is a new framework software that is designed to bring smart devices into one home hub. This new project from the creators of Firefox claims to allow users to control all their smart home devices in a web browser. Project Things is hoping to fill a void in smart hub technology, as most companies will usually only provide hub support to the products they create. With this technology, Mozilla hopes that the smart devices industry can be less decentralized and more like the open web.
Project Things is still in the early development phase and is still considered a work in progress—that being said, Mozilla has already released a set of guidelines and explained how to set up a network using a Raspberry Pi computing device. This early version is primarily geared towards hackers, makers and web developers, but will hopefully be released to the consumer market soon. The final version of Project Things will allow users to determine how devices interact with one another and will even include uploaded floor plans to map out devices in the home.
Image Credit: Digital Trends
Project Things is in the Early Stages of Creating Smart Hubs
1. Decentralized Smart Hubs - Enabling users to control all their smart home devices in a web browser, this trend disrupts the smart hub market by allowing for a decentralized approach.
2. Open Web Integration - By bringing smart devices into one home hub, this trend offers disruptive innovation opportunities for seamless integration with the open web, enhancing user experience.
3. Customizable Device Interactions - With the ability to determine how devices interact with one another, this trend opens up possibilities for customized smart device experiences, empowering users to tailor their smart home according to their needs.
1. Smart Home Technology - This trend presents disruptive innovation opportunities in the smart home technology industry as it enables more user-friendly and seamless control of smart devices.
2. Web Browser Software - This trend creates disruptive innovation opportunities in the web browser software industry by expanding the capabilities of browsers to include smart device management and integration.
3. Iot Device Manufacturers - This trend offers disruptive innovation opportunities for IoT device manufacturers to develop devices that seamlessly integrate into decentralized smart hub platforms.