Australian digital artist Alexia Sinclair created a series of portraits called the ‘Regal Twelve’ which depict some of the most powerful and influential women in history.
Among those powerful women is Queen Elizabeth I of England, who is depicted in all her regal glory surrounded by chess pieces.
Next comes the guillotined Queen of France Marie Antoinette, who was known for her extravagance and the phrase "Let them eat cake," attributed to her in reference to her hungry and impoverished subjects. She is shown surrounded by all the pomp, circumstance and decadence of pre-revolutionary France.
Meanwhile, the tragic Queen Cleopatra of Egypt is displayed in a very erotically-charged pose surrounded by snakes.
The other women in the gallery in order of appearance are:
4. Elizabeth Bathory of Hungary, one of the most prolific serial killers in history
5. Christina of Sweden, the Androgynous Queen
6. Olympias the mother of Alexander the Great
7. Eleanor of Aquitane, Queen of England and mother of Richard the Lionhearted
8. Agrippina, sister to Emperor Caligula; wife of Emperor Claudius and mother of Emperor Nero
9. Boudica the Celtic Queen
10. Isabella, the Catholic of Spain who sponsored Columbus’ trip to America
Portraits of Historical Female Icons
More Stats +/-
Fancy Star Wars Portraits
Organic Beach Portraits
Holy Hip Hop
Free 2018 Report & eBook
Get the top 100 trends happening right NOW -- plus a FREE copy of our award-winning book.
Our Research Methodology
This article is one of 350,000 experiments. We use crowd filtering, big data and AI to identify insights.