These print ads for the World Association of Newspapers leave a very strong visual impression, and some people might consider them to be quite controversial. The campaign is called “Hide and Seek” and the newspaper’s motto is "Where history plays out daily."
The first image in the gallery shows the assassinated civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr. and a member of the hated racist group, The Knights of the Ku Klux Klan. It has "King Takes Knight" as its chess-referenced tag line.
The following image has ex British Prime Minister Winston Churchill who is chiefly noted for his leadership in the United Kingdom during World War III, and Nazi butcher Adolph Hitler. The two are pictures playing the popular hand game “Rock, Paper, Scissors,” where Churchill’s scissor is seen beating Hitler’s paper.
Finally, a blinded president George W. Bush displays his incredible ineptitude as he is shown next to terror mastermind Osama bin Laden in an ad that has “Hide and Seek” as its tag line.
Political 'Hide and Seek' Ads
1. Controversial Advertising - Opportunities exist to use provocative imagery and messaging to capture consumers' attention and drive brand awareness and recognition.
2. Political Marketing - The use of political figures and themes in advertising is an effective way to get consumers thinking about current events and their relevance to daily life.
3. Interactive Advertising - By leveraging popular games and other interactive concepts, advertisers can create engaging campaigns that encourage audience participation and increase brand loyalty.
1. Newspapers - With print advertising opportunities declining, newspapers can look to innovative campaigns like "Hide and Seek" to attract new readers and re-engage existing ones.
2. Advertising and Marketing - As consumers become increasingly desensitized to traditional advertising techniques, the industry must find new and creative ways to stand out and make an impact.
3. Politics and Advocacy - Organizations focused on political and social change can take cues from this campaign to craft messaging that resonates with a broader audience and encourages action.