Pole dancing as an Olympic sport? That is the idea being put forward by a group of women from Salt Lake City, Utah, who would rather that you call their sport “Pole Fitness.”
There is no doubt as to the agility required to perform many of the maneuvers; pole dancing as a fitness trend has seen a great surge in popularity.
There has been a marked increase in the number of home stripper pole installations, pole dancing clubs and instructional courses, and even group fitness classes at gyms.
Whether or not pole fitness becomes an official reality for London 2012 remains to be seen. The Utah ladies have gathered together a petition to present to the Olympic committee, and have already amassed 300 signatures to date.
“Pole Fitness” Recommended as Olympic Event
1. Pole Fitness as Olympic Event - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Exploring the market potential for pole fitness as an official Olympic sport and developing specialized training programs and equipment.
2. Surge in Pole Dancing Popularity - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Creating innovative home pole installations and developing unique instructional courses and group fitness classes to cater to the growing demand for pole dancing.
3. Pole Dancing as Fitness Trend - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Collaborating with gyms and fitness clubs to incorporate pole dancing as a mainstream fitness activity and developing new fitness routines and accessories.
1. Sports Equipment Manufacturing - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Designing and producing specialized equipment and apparatus for pole fitness, targeting both professional athletes and home users.
2. Fitness and Wellness - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Integrating pole dancing into fitness and wellness programs, offering unique and engaging workout experiences for customers.
3. Event Management - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Organizing pole fitness competitions and events to promote the sport and create opportunities for athletes, spectators, and sponsors.