A startup called Eat Limmo is using a plant-based ingredient to make a healthier cupcake. The new venture uses food waste (specifically fruit peels and seeds) and uses it to create a new junk food ingredient.
Based in Mexico, Eat Limmo takes seeds and peels that are usually thrown out and transforms them using their patent-pending process. This results in nutritious, inexpensive and functional food ingredients. This provides benefits for the food industry, as producers are enabled to provide food with greater nutritional value that is high quality and cheap.
For example, the plant-based ingredient can replace 40% of the eggs and oil typically used as a binding agent in baking. This means you could bake a cupcake that is instead binded with additional fiber and less calories.
Eat Limmo Created a New Plant-Based Ingredient Used in Baking
1. Plant-based Ingredient - Opportunity to develop and market plant-based ingredients as a healthier alternative in the food industry.
2. Food Waste Transformation - Potential for startups to utilize food waste and transform it into valuable and functional food ingredients.
3. Functional Food Innovation - Room for innovation in developing functional food ingredients that provide added health benefits.
1. Food Manufacturing - Disruptive innovation opportunity for food manufacturers to incorporate plant-based ingredients into their products.
2. Sustainable Agriculture - Opportunity in sustainable agriculture to reduce food waste and create valuable resources from unused parts of plants.
3. Bakery and Confectionery - Innovative prospects in the bakery and confectionery industry by incorporating functional food ingredients to create healthier and tastier products.