The New York City subway system is hailed as one of the best in the world, but commuters who take it every day know that there's always room for improvement, and the Pigeon app is a new way to get even more out of the MTA's prized jewel. The Google-developed app provides real-time data on train schedules and gives route suggestions, eliminating the frustration of getting to a station only to wait for 15 minutes for a train to arrive.
Like traffic information in Google Maps, the Pigeon app's data on trains are powered by other riders. Since the entire New York subway is equipped with internet access, the app is able to update constantly. The app also keeps users apprised of current delays, planned maintenance, and more.
The Pigeon App Helps NYC Commuters Use the Subway More Effectively
1. Real-time Transit Apps - Developing real-time transit apps for metro transit systems globally to provide real-time data on schedules and route suggestions eliminating commuter frustrations.
2. Crowdsourced Transit Data - Utilizing crowdsourced transit data as a reliable source of information to build helpful transit apps around the globe.
3. Offline Transit Apps - Offline Transit Apps using cached data to provide transport schedules and routes to users without requiring constant internet connectivity.
1. Transportation Industry - Opportunity for the transportation industry to leverage technology to create better, more efficient and modern transport systems.
2. App Development Industry - Potential for app developers to build customized transit apps that use real-time data and provide a seamless and personalized commuter experience.
3. Urban Planning Industry - Opportunity for urban planners to use crowdsourced data and technology to improve transportation infrastructure and systems in urban areas worldwide.