Aging rocker Ozzy Osbourne is not particularly known for his eloquence, and that’s exactly why the Leo Burnett Chicago advertising agency selected him as the spokesperson for the Samsung Propel.
The Samsung Propel’s primary feature is its slide-out QWERTY keyboard--perfect for avid text messagers and marble-mouthed individuals, as the commercial shows. Scenes from a day in Ozzy Osbourne’s life are filmed in which Osbourne needs to send a text message in order to be understood. With the tagline, “Make yourself heard,” the ad brings the text-centric message home.
The creative directors for the Samsung Propel ad are Will Perry, Bob Price and Colin Selikow, who oversaw production company MJZ, director Craig Gillespie, executive producer Lisa Margulia, producer Line Postmyr, and editor Carlos Lowenstein.
Ozzy Osbourne for Samsung Propel
1. Celebrity Endorsement - Opportunities for brands to partner with celebrities to promote their products and appeal to a wider audience and generate buzz.
2. QWERTY Keyboard - An opportunity to create products with a QWERTY keyboard as a primary feature, that appeals to avid text messagers and individuals who struggle with traditional touchscreens.
3. Humorous Advertising - Brands embracing humor in their advertising campaigns as it has the power to grab attention, evoke emotions, and create brand recall.
1. Mobile Devices - Opportunities for mobile device manufacturers to create innovative products including a slide-out QWERTY keyboard for a more enjoyable texting experience.
2. Advertising - The opportunity for advertising agencies to explore new forms of storytelling using humor and celebrity endorsement to create engaging campaigns with high recall value.
3. Entertainment - Opportunities for the entertainment industry to leverage celebrity endorsements and humor as part of their marketing strategies to increase audience engagement and excitement around their brand.