Artist Sarah Bolton has created ‘Our Lady Peach’ an acrylic on canvas painting of Super Mario Bros character Princess Peach as the Virgin Mary. It seems rather fitting that if you worshiped at the Nintendo alter you might be comfortable with Princess Peach in the role of Mary.
‘Our Lady Peach’ also shows an angel-winged Toad lifting the peaceful Princess but no sign of her often-times hero Mario.
Implications - In the last few years, Hollywood has increasingly trumpeted its animated and videogame properties as prospective money-making franchises. A company seeking to create a connection between their product and a strong fanbase outside of their consumer market would be wise to try and partner with one of these companies.
'Our Lady Peach' by Sarah Bolton
1. Religious Gamer Art - Opportunity for artists to create religious-themed artwork featuring popular video game characters.
2. Crossover Collaborations - Opportunity for companies to partner with video game companies to create unique products that resonate with a strong fanbase.
3. Pop Culture Devotion - Growing trend of integrating popular culture icons into religious imagery.
1. Art - Art industry can capitalize on the demand for religious-themed gamer artwork.
2. Entertainment - Entertainment industry can explore collaborations with video game companies to expand their fanbase.
3. Religious Goods - Religious goods industry can incorporate popular culture icons into their products to attract a wider audience.