Based in Thailand, Oimei Co. is a fair trade company and social enterprise that, simply put, uses pillows to promote peace in the Majority World. By sourcing products from rural artisans, Oimei Co. is able to ensure that they make a fair wage and are able to support themselves to become self-sustainable. Like many small-scale artisans worldwide, those that work with Oimei Co. face extreme competition from a globalized market that favors low-cost, low-quality and mass-produced goods.
The pillows themselves embody a mix of bohemian luxe. Hand-weaved by local artisans, the vibrant pillows follow a long line of traditional manufacturing and cultural heritage.
Fifteen percent of sales from Oimei Co. are reinvested in peacebuilding projects. The first initiative is a collaboration with Thailand's Human Development Forum Foundation located in Bangkok. The Foundation works to promote democracy through disaster prevention, conflict resolution and capacity building through penetrating all levels of Thai society.
Oimei Co. has launched a campaign through the social entrepreneurship crowdsourcing website StartSomeGood and is trying to raise funds and build supporters to further realize positive social change. If you're interested in contributing to this wonderful project, click here.
Oimei Co. Website
Oimei Co. is a Fair Trade Business Re-Investing Profits in Peacebuilding Initiatives
1. Fair Trade - Opportunity for businesses to promote fair wages and sustainable livelihoods by sourcing products from rural artisans.
2. Social Entrepreneurship - Crowdsourcing platforms can be used to raise funds and build support for positive social change initiatives.
3. Peacebuilding Projects - Integration of social initiatives into business models to invest profits in projects promoting peace and democracy.
1. Home Decor - Utilizing traditional manufacturing and cultural heritage to create unique and vibrant home decor products.
2. Fashion - Incorporating bohemian luxe style into handmade products, challenging the low-cost, mass-produced goods market.
3. Crowdfunding - Creating opportunities for businesses to raise funds and build support for social change initiatives through online platforms.