Although the idea of non-functional furniture might seem utterly contradictory, when art is involved, anything is possible. Melding the two worlds of art and furniture, this collection reinterprets the idea of purpose on a variety of levels. Dubbed Caramel, the non-functional furniture collection is comprised of different seats, some of which look entirely uncomfortable while others are simply useless.
Created by artist Yasmin Muller, the non-functional furniture collection was on display at Cruise & Callas, which is locatedin Berlin, Germany. It is comprised of five objects, each of which are made out of black metal. Muller poses a couple of questions that help interpret her work better, "How much does one project into the other? To what extent does one use and take possession of the other?”
Yasmn Muller's Caramel Collection is Full of Unusual Designs
1. Non-functional Furniture - A trend of creating furniture that has no practical functionality but serves as a piece of art.
2. Artistic Furniture Design - A trend of blurring the lines between art and furniture design to create unique and unusual pieces.
3. Uncomfortable Seating - A trend of creating seating that challenges traditional ideas of comfort to provide unique aesthetic experiences.
1. Art Galleries - Art galleries can showcase and idealize non-functional furniture as a piece of art.
2. Interior Design - Interior designers can incorporate non-functional furniture as part of their artistic design for a space.
3. Fashion Design - Fashion designers who are predicting trends can incorporate the principles of non-functional furniture into their runway designs to make bold statements.