Sights Unseen introduces its inaugural furniture collection to the world as curators Jull Singer and Monica Khemsurov tap four international designers to help create five new designs. Notably, all of these designs share one commonality -- the use of different kinds of metal. The collection was originally unveiled during New York Design Week to showcase the different ways to use industrially produced metal.
It resulted in a playful range of designs and speaking about the new capsule, Singer and Khemsurov state, “The collection started with two parameters: one was that Bestcase is a metal factory, so the pieces were always going to be made primarily from metal, and we knew we wanted to work with people who we felt understood and appreciated the medium [...] Our mood board had a lot of sculptural abstract pieces and a lot of 70s references, like Karl Springer and Gilles Saint-Gilles, as well as some pieces by contemporary makers like Aldo Bakker and Dessuant Bone.”
Image Credit: Sean Davidson
Sights Unseen Unveils Its First-Ever Furniture Collection
1. Metal-centric Furniture - Designers are utilizing the use of different kinds of metal to create unique and playful furniture designs.
2. Industrial Design - Using industrial produced metal, designers can bring a new range of playful and modern designs to the furniture industry.
3. Sculptural Abstract Pieces - Designers find inspiration in sculptural abstract art and 70s references to create unique metal furniture pieces.
1. Furniture - There is a growing trend in the furniture industry to incorporate metal into designs, leading to opportunities for companies who produce and use industrial metal.
2. Manufacturing - Manufacturers who produce metals for industrial use may see an increase in demand for specific metal designs used in furniture.
3. Design and Art - The intersection of design and art, especially with sculptural abstract pieces, is a trend that will continue to push forward new innovations in both industries.