The National Geographic Shelf from designer Sean Miller is an awesome way to upcycle old magazines. I have a ton of old Sports Illustrated magazines that I would kill to have made into a shelf.
Sean Miller made the National Geographic Shelf by covering the magazines with a water/starch mixture and then compressing them for a week. Once he had a National Geographic block, he simply took a saw to it and cut out a space. The National Geographic Shelf is an example of an awesome idea with great execution. I want one now.
The National Geographic Shelf is an Adventurous Creation
1. Upcycled Furniture - Creating furniture out of unconventional materials like recycled magazines offers a unique and environmentally-friendly design solution.
2. DIY Home Decor - The trend of creating handmade home decor items allows for personalization and a sense of creativity in interior design.
3. Sustainable Design - Incorporating eco-friendly practices and materials into design processes promotes sustainability and ethical consumption.
1. Interior Design - The interior design industry can explore incorporating upcycled furniture into their design solutions, offering clients sustainable and unique options.
2. Craft and DIY - The craft and DIY industry can provide resources and inspiration for creating handmade home decor items using unconventional materials like old magazines.
3. Environmental Conservation - The environmental conservation industry can promote sustainable design practices that repurpose materials and reduce waste in order to create a more environmentally-friendly future.