The 'Lattice Chair' by Myung Chul Kim is made up of wavy pieces of white oak wood. The gorgeous chair is inspired by a piece of lattice work and has an intricate patterning of overlapping wood pieces, nylon spacers and zinc-plated screws. These three materials are simple enough, but this chair's capabilities are astonishing.
Although it doesn't look like it would be a very comfortable lounger to sit on, the chair has flexible parts that move to better accommodate the body when it sits. As Myung Chul Kim describes, "the highest point of each bend are connected and able to pivot." Despite looking deceptively static, this flexible piece of furniture has a beautiful design that is responsive to the forms it holds, almost as if it was a living design.
Myung Chul Kim's 'Lattice Chair' Has a Flexible Design
1. Flexible Furniture - A trend of creating furniture with flexible parts that can move and adjust to accommodate the body for enhanced comfort.
2. Intricate Patterning - A trend of incorporating intricate and overlapping patterns in furniture design to add visual interest and complexity.
3. Responsive Designs - A trend of designing furniture that is responsive to the forms it holds, creating a living and interactive experience.
1. Furniture Manufacturing - The furniture manufacturing industry can explore the production of flexible furniture to meet the growing demand for comfortable and customizable designs.
2. Interior Design - Interior designers can incorporate intricate patterning in their designs to add visual interest and create unique spaces for their clients.
3. Product Development - The product development industry can focus on creating responsive designs that enhance user experiences and offer innovative solutions in various sectors.