The Muuto lighting collections often embrace interesting concepts for inspiration as the Scandinavian furniture brand taps design-forward collaborators. In September of 2019, that was British-based design studio Layer.
The Layer x Muuto lighting collection bears the name of 'Strand.' It presents four pendant lamp silhouettes and the forms draw stylistic cues from "the silkworm's act of self-wrapping."
For each lamp, Layer utilized a thin steel frame and sprayed over it with "a fibrous polymer material." The end product produces a cacoon-like structure and the coating, once dried, allows for the light to be emitted with a soft, diffused glow. This permits "gentleness and sensitivity." The design is minimalist and highly contemporary, making for a seamless insertion into the setting of the chic, modern home.
Photo Credits: Muuto
This Muuto Lighting Collection is Curated by Design Studio Layer
1. Silkworm-inspired Lighting - Designers are exploring new biomimicry concepts for lighting products based on silkworm's act of self-wrapping.
2. Fibrous Polymer Coating - Using fibrous polymer material as a coating for lighting fixtures creates a soft, diffused glow, paving the way for gentle and sensitive lighting solutions.
3. Minimalist Contemporary Design - The use of minimalist and contemporary design is becoming a trend in the lighting industry, with products that effortlessly blend with modern home interiors and commercial spaces.
1. Lighting - The lighting industry can find innovative ways to incorporate biomimicry concepts into new products, such as using silkworm-inspired designs.
2. Materials Science - Companies within the materials science industry can develop new fibrous polymer materials to provide soft, diffused lighting coatings for various applications, including lighting fixtures.
3. Interior Design - Interior designers can explore minimalist and contemporary design options for lighting fixtures that blend well with modern homes and commercial spaces.