Making its debut at the 2016 Tribeca Film Festival, 'Memories of a Penitent Heart' tells the heart-breaking tale of Miguel Dieppa. Produced by Dieppa's niece Cecilia Aldarondo, the film explores issues of sexuality, religion and long-dormant family secrets.
Memories of a Penitent Heart originated from Aldarondo's suspicion that her uncle's successful career in theater and his rewarding relationship with his partner may have had a darker side. Through the film, Aldarondo recounts a deeply personal story of how homophobia and religion tore Dieppa's family apart and how it alienated his partner in the process. Using old 8mm and funding from both Kickstarter and Indiegogo, the film provides a raw and intimate look at how family secrets can lead to heartbreak.
Based on its strong crowdfunding campaign, the film is likely to appeal to millennials interested in LGBT issues.
'Memories of a Penitent Heart' Tells the Story of Miguel Dieppa
1. Crowdfunding Film Projects - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop a platform specifically for independent filmmakers to crowdfund their projects.
2. Exploration of LGBT Issues in Documentaries - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Create a streaming service dedicated to showcasing independent LGBT documentaries.
3. Intersecting Themes of Sexuality, Religion, and Family - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop a counseling or therapy app that specifically addresses the challenges faced by LGBTQ individuals in religious families.
1. Film Industry - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Introduce VR technology to create immersive experiences in independent LGBT documentaries.
2. Crowdfunding Platforms - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Create a blockchain-based crowdfunding platform for film projects, ensuring transparency and security.
3. Streaming Services - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Launch a dedicated streaming service for niche documentaries, focusing on exploring social and cultural issues.