I wonder what Marie Antoinette would say if she saw Dejana Kabiljo's 'Let Them Sit Cake.' The design is a funny and devilishly creative sofa made for the first annual Beijing Design Week.
Let Them Sit Cake pokes fun at the unfortunate queen's iconic phrase by being literally made out of the elements that make up cake. The sofa is composed of bags of flour topped with fake chocolate icing made from polyol sponge. The sofa is comprised of four and a half tons of flour and 120 liters of fake chocolate. According to the designer, her goal was not to poke fun at Marie Antoinette, but rather to give people "a moment of sweetness, indulgence and joy...in times of uncertainty and crisis."
'Let Them Sit Cake' is Marie Antoinette-Inspired
1. Marie Antoinette-inspired Design - Opportunity to create products and experiences that draw inspiration from Marie Antoinette's style and aesthetic.
2. Humorous Furniture - Potential to develop furniture pieces that incorporate humor and whimsy into their design.
3. Comfort in Uncertain Times - Chance to explore creating comforting and indulgent products that provide a sense of joy during times of uncertainty.
1. Furniture - Disruptive innovation opportunity in creating unconventional and playful furniture designs.
2. Food and Beverage - Opportunity to experiment with food-inspired materials and design elements for furniture and decor.
3. Wellness and Self-care - Potential to develop products that promote well-being and provide emotional comfort, such as indulgent furniture pieces.