Artist and food sculpture Lauren Purnell recreates popular animals, landscapes and objects from edible ingredients on her tumblr blog called Culinary Canvas. The blog features daily uploads of Purnell's food constructions that she makes religiously on the same white plate.
It's always interesting to see when artists depart from typical art materials such as paint and opt for other interesting mediums like food. Purnell is one of these artists that repetitively recreates trees, flags, chickens, flowers, turtles and hummingbirds entirely out of food. The precision and color of Purnell's work is incredibly striking to look at. For example, Purnell reconstructs a sea turtle using lettuce and thinly sliced cucumbers to replicate the shell. While Purnell's work is wonderful to look at it sure does look good enough to eat.
Lauren Purnell Recreates Recognizable Landscapes and Animals with Food
1. Food Art - There is a growing trend of artists creating intricate sculptures and designs using food as their medium.
2. Sustainable Food - Food artists like Purnell demonstrate the beauty in using natural and sustainable food ingredients to create stunning art pieces.
3. Edible Landscapes - Edible nature illustrations provide a new way to appreciate and relate to nature, while also offering opportunities for more sustainable and edible landscaping practices.
1. Food and Beverage - The food and beverage industry can explore new ways of utilizing food as a creative medium, such as offering edible décor or food art installations as a unique experience for customers.
2. Art and Design - Purnell's work and the growing trend of food art provides avenues for further exploration within the art and design industry for innovative and sustainable materials.
3. Landscape Design - Edible nature illustrations can inspire sustainable and innovative landscape design in parks, gardens and public spaces for a more interactive and edible experience.