The art collective panGenerator was commissioned by the National Ethnographic Museum in Warsaw "to create a work that would examine an aspect of teenage life" and the result is a accurate interactive installation.
panGenerator took this opportunity to represent the temporal dependence of selfie culture within the parameters of social media platforms like Instagram or Snapchat. The interactive installation encourages spectators to take a selfie and send it via a mobile web page. Through a face-detection algorithm and computer mapping software, the digital file is projected with gravel onto a screen that eventually vanishes as the material falls to the bottom of the interactive installation. Thus, panGenerator's art piece is also a commentary on the risk society and the fear of technological failure and data loss.
Photo Credits: Dezeen
PanGenerator's Artwork Turns Your Selfie into Gravel
1. Interactive Installations - Opportunity for creating engaging and immersive experiences through interactive installations.
2. Selfie Culture - Exploring the impact and dependence of selfie culture on social media platforms.
3. Temporal Art - Using time-dependent materials and processes to create evolving artistic experiences.
1. Art and Culture - Innovative approaches to integrating technology and interactive elements into art exhibitions and installations.
2. Social Media - Opportunity for platforms to incorporate new interactive features that enhance user engagement and creative expression.
3. Technology and Data - Exploring the intersection of art and technology to create unique and thought-provoking experiences while addressing concerns about data loss and technological failures.