Mall directories are officially being put on notice by the Inside app. Shopcloud, an Israeli startup, developed Inside to make it easier to navigate large buildings, such as airports and shopping malls. The app works a lot like Google Maps in that it tracks you, but it displays nearby shops instead of streets.
The Inside app functions using floor plans supplied to Shopcloud; the app is used offline once the floor plan has been downloaded. The Inside app uses your phone's camera to spot relevant landmarks (fountains, kiosks etc...). Additionally, your phone's gyroscope and accelerometer also transmit data that the app uses to locate you. The Inside app is currently in beta, but Shopcloud hopes to launch for both Android and iOS within the next few months.
The Inside App Makes Directories a Thing of the Past
1. Indoor Navigation - The development of more advanced indoor navigation systems could benefit businesses by making large buildings more accessible for customers.
2. Location-based Advertising - As indoor navigation apps become more widespread, businesses could take advantage of location-based advertising to attract potential customers near their stores.
3. Augmented Reality Navigation - Combining indoor navigation apps with augmented reality could provide users with a more immersive experience while exploring large buildings.
1. Retail - Indoor navigation apps could greatly benefit the retail industry, allowing customers to easily navigate through large shopping malls and locate specific stores.
2. Hospitality - Indoor navigation apps could be helpful for guests to navigate through large and complex hotel properties, making their overall experience more enjoyable.
3. Transportation - Indoor navigation apps could be used in airports and public transportation hubs, making it easier for passengers to find their way around, potentially leading to fewer missed flights and connections.