Using pens, artist Johanna Basford created mannequins with full-body tattoos called Inky Bodies. Basford placed intricate designs all over the surface of two mannequins in order to achieve a surreal effect. The sculptures were created for an exhibit at Dundee contemporary Arts. Each mannequin was hand drawn on because according to Basford, “computer generated graphics can feel cold and soulless whereas hand drawing captures a sense of energy and character.”
Basford included the mannequin of a dog and a man in the sculpture. Both are partially covered with equally intricate designs. Small debauchery-themed graphics along with flowers were inked together to form beautiful tattoos. Against porcelain-white skin, the pitch black drawings pop out. Featureless faces are detailed with tattoos which serve as a strange face replacement.
The Inky Bodies Sculptures Detail Models with Intricate Ink
1. Handmade Body Art - The use of intricate hand-drawn tattoos on mannequins demonstrates the growing trend towards unique, handmade body art.
2. Surreal Sculptures - The creation of mannequins with full-body tattoos showcases the trend of using art to transform ordinary objects into surreal and visually captivating sculptures.
3. Traditional Art Revival - The preference for hand drawing over computer-generated graphics reflects a revived interest in traditional art forms and the desire for a more authentic and soulful artistic experience.
1. Fashion Retail - Fashion retailers can explore the use of hand-drawn tattoos on mannequins to create unique visual merchandising displays and showcase their brand's individuality.
2. Art Galleries - Art galleries can incorporate surreal sculptures like mannequins with full-body tattoos into their exhibitions to attract visitors and offer them a thought-provoking and visually engaging experience.
3. Tattoo Industry - The tattoo industry can draw inspiration from the intricate designs and techniques used in the hand-drawn tattoos on mannequins, pushing the boundaries of creativity and expanding their artistic repertoire.