Built mainly around an inner courtyard, the House Riihi in Finland by OOPEAA architecture firm is made up of a slatted wooden facade. It's made to keep in heat as effectively as possible, since in Finland it does tend to become quite cold in the winter.
Instead of having the entire house connected, the property holds three separate buildings. Apparently "this combination, along with the volumes’ forms, subtly reference traditional finnish farms, serving to provide a vernacular identity to the architecture, which is located in the small village of Alajärvi," as stated on DesignBoom. Since slatted wood is used for the outside, the entire abode looks quite minimalist, with a cottage aesthetic due to the material used.
When the weather is nicer out, the courtyard features a garden filled with flowers.
Photo Credits: designboom, oopeaa
The House Riihi in Finland Focuses Around a Central Courtyard
1. Slatted Facades - Opportunity for innovative building materials and design techniques that enhance energy efficiency and aesthetic appeal.
2. Internal Courtyards - Potential for creating unique living spaces centered around natural elements and greenery.
3. Cottage Aesthetic - Market for minimalist and rustic design elements that provide a cozy and nostalgic feel.
1. Architecture - Innovations in sustainable materials and construction methods for energy-efficient buildings.
2. Landscaping and Gardening - Demand for landscaping solutions that create beautiful and functional internal courtyards.
3. Home Decor and Furniture - Opportunity for designing and manufacturing minimalist and rustic furniture and decor items.