The March 2008 issue of Vanity Fair magazine paid homage to the master of suspense, Alfred Hitchcock. The Hollywood Portfolio issue recreated iconic scenes from 11 of Hitchcock's most famous films. The scenes were shot by four Vanity Fair photographers and 21 of Hollywood's hottest actors such as Scarlett Johansson, Robert Downey Jr., Naomi Watts, Charlize Theron, Gwyneth Paltrow and Jodie Foster to name just a few were photographed reprising those iconic scenes. Now, we want to reintroduce you to some of those images alongside the original scenes from the Hitchcock films.
1. Images 1 and 2 show Jodie Foster in a reprise of a scene from â€œThe Birdsâ€ (1963)and the original scene with Tippi Hedren respectively.
2. Images 3 and 4 show Naomi Watts' rendition of Tippi Hedren in the 1964 movie â€œMarnieâ€ starring Hedren who is shown in the following photo.
3. Images 5 and 6: Charlize Theron as Grace Kelly in â€œDial M for Murderâ€ (1964) and Kelly and Anthony Dawson in the original scene.
4. Photos 7 and 8: Tang Wei, Josh Brolin, Casey Affleck, Eva Marie Saint, Ben Foster, Omar Metwally, and Julie Christie for â€œLifeboatâ€ (1944). The original still: From left: Walter Slezak, Mary Anderson, Hume Cronyn, Tallulah Bankhead, John Hodiak, Henry Hull, Heather Angel, William Bendix, Canada Lee.
5. Photos 9 and 10: Scarlett Johansson as Grace Kelly and Javier Bardem in â€œRear Windowsâ€ (1954) and the original still with Kelly and James Stewart.
I really love the photography and the rather pronounced nuances between the original stills and the hollywoodized versions. At the risk of over analyzing, I'm of the opinion that the focus here was more to try to capture the spirit of the original scenes rather to copy them to the last detail.
This is the Vanity Fair issue I mentioned above