The success of the robot-run Henn na Hotel in Japan has led to the opening of a new venture—the Henn na Cafe in Tokyo, which is situated in the Shibuya ward.
At the all-new cafe, consumers have the chance to be served by a robotic barista, a piece of technology that is made by Rethink Robotics. The machine boasts a robotic arm, an automated coffee maker and a screen that gives the robot the ability to emote human-like expressions. Beyond just providing coffee to consumers, the bot boasts the ability to interact with guests, greeting them and asking: "Hello, would you like delicious coffee?"
To place an order for a drink to be fulfilled by the bot, customers must purchase a ticket via a vending machine. After choosing from a drink menu of seven items, they are able to present their QR code ticket to the robot so that the preparation of the beverage may begin.
Tokyo's 'Henn na Cafe' Has a Bot Serve Coffee to Customers
1. Robot Baristas - Opportunity for disruptive innovation in the food service industry by replacing human baristas with robots.
2. Automated Customer Interaction - Disruptive innovation opportunity to enhance customer experience by using robots with human-like expressions to interact with guests.
3. Ticket-based Ordering - Potential for disruptive innovation in the vending machine industry by using QR codes to order drinks from a robot barista.
1. Food Service - Opportunity for the food service industry to automate coffee-making and customer service processes using robot baristas.
2. Customer Experience - Disruptive innovation opportunity for industries that prioritize customer experience, such as hospitality and retail, by incorporating robots with human-like expressions.
3. Vending Machines - Potential for disruptive innovation in the vending machine industry by introducing QR code-based ticketing systems for ordering drinks from robots.