Laila Gohar, a New York-based artist specializing in food art, has partnered with her sister Nadia Gohar to launch a one-of-a-kind tableware brand called 'Gohar World.' The new label sees both sisters apply their penchant for abstract and surrealist styles to a range of "ordinary" tableware items, including candles, linens, plates, utensils, wearables, and more.
“Our products celebrate disappearing traditions, such as mouth-blown glass, various needlework, and hand-dipped candles, amongst others. Conceived as future heirlooms, our fine cotton and linens are sourced in Egypt and sewn in the Cairo atelier of [our] family,” said the Gohar sisters in a recent interview.
Playful surrealism acts as a throughline for the unique collection, which offers pieces as strange as an egg-finished chandelier, plastic baguettes, and eye-adorned drinking glasses.
Image Credit: Gohar World
'Gohar World' is a New Tableware Brand Boasting Dreamlike Designs
1. Surrealist Tableware Designs - Opportunity to create more artistic and unique tableware designs through collaboration with artists.
2. Celebrating Disappearing Traditions - Opportunity to incorporate traditional techniques into modern products for added value.
3. Multi-functional Tableware - Opportunity to innovate and offer multi-functional tableware designs that merge art and functionality.
1. Home Decor - Innovation opportunity to offer more unique and artistic tableware designs for the home decor industry.
2. Fashion and Wearables - Innovation opportunity to merge fashion with home decor by offering wearable tableware designs.
3. Manufacturing and Textiles - Opportunity to source locally and incorporate traditional textile techniques into manufacturing for added value.