To acknowledge the excitement that's building with the release of each new Game of Thrones episode, IKEA shared a simple guide to help consumers make their own DIY Game of Thrones cape from its Luddle or Skold sheepskin rugs.
The four-step guide was shared to IKEA's Norwegian Facebook page, along with the caption: "Summer is almost over, winter is coming." In the set of instructions, a series of four simple images are used to show how a hole can be cut into the sheepskin rugs to form a wrap that can instantly be thrown around one's shoulders.
IKEA is using this comical illustrated guide to address a story that its rugs are the ones that are used by the costume designers on the set of Game of Thrones.
This IKEA Guide Details How to Turn a Rug Into a Game of Thrones Cape
1. DIY Costume Guides - The trend of creating DIY costume guides can be capitalized on by retailers to promote their products and engage with consumers.
2. Pop Culture Homage - Creating products or DIY guides that reference popular culture can be a disruptive innovation opportunity for companies to tap into existing fan-bases and expand their audience.
3. Sustainable Fashion - Creating DIY guides that upcycle or repurpose household items into fashion pieces taps into the trend of sustainable fashion and offers a disruptive innovation opportunity for companies to reduce waste and engage with eco-conscious consumers.
1. Retail - Retail companies can take advantage of the trend of creating DIY costume guides by promoting their products as key components for consumer-created costumes.
2. Entertainment - Entertainment companies can create DIY guides that reference their popular culture franchises to engage with existing fans and attract new audiences.
3. Sustainability - Companies in the sustainability industry can create DIY guides focused on upcycling and repurposing household items to engage with eco-conscious consumers and promote their products or services.