The more developed technological advancements become, the more reliant people seem to become upon technology, and the Funktionide Body Pillow is a perfect example of that dependence. German designer Stefan Ulrich designed the pillow as part of his graduate thesis and he claims it provides users "with an atmosphere of presence, thus counteracting the feeling of loneliness."
The Funktionide Body Pillow apparently mimics the rise and fall of human-like breathing patterns and feels soft and cushion-y like a marshmallow. Ulrich addresses the concern over the pillow and how it will effect humans' growing lack of social interaction.
He says, "The work’s intention is to ask what happens if a product, which was proposed as a relief against social isolation, begins to become the solution. In this way the thesis[’s] intention is to create a picture for discussion, which enables us to question how much we want technological products to satisfy our emotional needs."
The Funktionide Body Pillow Will Squirm Into Your Arms
1. Technology-driven Loneliness - Opportunity for disruptive innovation in products catering to the emotional needs of people suffering from loneliness due to technology-driven isolation.
2. Human-mimicking Products - Disruptive innovation possibility in creating products that mimic human-like qualities and provide companionship for lonely individuals.
3. Social Interaction Dilemma - Opportunity for innovation in products that address the dilemma of balancing social interaction with technological advancements.
1. Consumer Electronics - Opportunity for disruptive innovation in creating tech products that tackle issues of loneliness and social isolation.
2. Health and Wellness - Opportunity for innovation in creating wellness products that address the emotional impact of excessive reliance on technology.
3. Psychology and Mental Health - Opportunity for products and services focused on helping individuals maintain healthy emotional states and address issues of loneliness.