The Formal Hybrids NYC Casino and Convention Center complex has been designed with the recognition that small structural footprints are much more effective in dense urban environments. However, the stiffness of circulation and use has been squeezed out compared to the norm, made possible through the unconventional treatment to the middles of the towers.
Bulging out beyond the strict rectangular prismic frames, twisted spherical masses form unexpected cores and connect the five edifices at a significant height above ground level. Below these exists a tight program of rental apartments and above are several floors of hotel rooms. Their meetings are a dynamic medley of spaces devoted to both work and play, inspired by the diverse culture of the lower West side of Manhattan.
The Formal Hybrids New York City Casino and Convention Center proposal was developed by Reynolds Diaz Jr. and Alex Lozano, winning them first prize in the competition.
Formal Hybrids NYC Relaxes its Rigid Frame for an Augmented Program
1. Small Structural Footprints - Designing buildings with smaller structural footprints can be more effective in dense urban environments and may lead to new opportunities for flexible and unconventional building designs.
2. Twisted Spherical Masses - Using twisted spherical masses as the central core of a skyscraper can create new and unexpected design opportunities for future urban buildings.
3. Dynamic Medley of Spaces - Creating a dynamic medley of spaces within skyscrapers, inspired by the diverse culture of the surrounding area, can lead to new opportunities for multifunctional buildings that cater to various needs.
1. Architecture - The architecture industry can explore new and unconventional design approaches for skyscrapers, such as using non-traditional structural footprints and central cores.
2. Real Estate - The real estate industry can benefit from the idea of using small footprints efficiently in dense urban environments to create more flexible and multifunctional buildings.
3. Hospitality - The hospitality industry can utilize the idea of creating a dynamic medley of spaces in tall buildings to offer unique and innovative experiences to their guests.