Forbo Flooring's Coral collection is made with Econyl, a yarn derived that helps to divert carpet waste, fishing nets and other materials from waste streams. The yarn is tufted in such a way that forms rolls, mats and tiles that are not just aesthetically pleasing but also effective for keeping natural elements like dirt, sand and snow from being tracked into a building—in fact, testing by Cleaning Research International shows that the flooring system is capable of removing up to 95% of dirt and moisture, which can reduce the time spent cleaning floors up to 65%.
In all, there are eight different Coral flooring lines; Recycled PET bottles form the back of the Coral Welcome pieces, which are especially colorful and deeply piled.
Image Credit: Forbo Flooring
'Coral' Flooring is Made with Fishing Nets & Plastic Bottles
1. Sustainable Flooring - Opportunity for developing innovative flooring materials and manufacturing processes that reduce waste streams and utilize recycled materials.
2. Effective Dirt and Moisture Removal - Opportunity to create flooring systems that are capable of removing high percentages of dirt and moisture, leading to more efficient cleaning processes.
3. Colorful and Deeply Piled Flooring - Opportunity for designing flooring pieces that are not only visually appealing but also made from recycled materials, such as PET bottles.
1. Flooring Manufacturing - Disruptive innovation opportunity for flooring manufacturers to develop sustainable processes and utilize recycled materials in their products.
2. Cleaning Services - Innovation opportunity to leverage flooring systems that effectively remove dirt and moisture, reducing the time spent on cleaning floors.
3. Textile and Recycling Industry - Opportunity for the textile and recycling industry to collaborate in developing innovative processes for recycling materials like fishing nets and PET bottles into flooring materials.