In designing a new indoor snow and leisure center for the town of Swindon, FaulknerBrowns Architects took inspiration from the history of the plot on which the complex will be placed. Set to be built on the former site of the Great Western Railway Works, FaulknerBrowns' design is directly indebted to the architecture of industrial railways.
The clearest aspect of that railyard inspiration comes through in the building's columns. Though the centers of those columns are made of steel, they're covered in red brick facades, which was the material most commonly used in industrial buildings of the 19th century. Further, the rigidly straight lines offset with simple, non-vaulted arches reflects the pragmatism of the industrial building style.
Aside from a ski slope, the complex will contain shops and common areas for lounging and dining.
FaulknerBrowns' Design is Inspired by Railway Hangars
1. Indoor Ski Slopes - Designing indoor ski slopes provides opportunities for architects and engineers to innovate and optimize space-efficient, sustainable, and cost-effective facilities.
2. Industrial Architecture-inspired Designs - Incorporating industrial architectural styles in contemporary designs opens up disruptive innovation opportunities for structures that balance functionality and aesthetics.
3. Leisure Complexes - Creating leisure complexes that combine entertainment, shopping, and dining facilities provides opportunities for businesses to offer memorable experiences and attract a diverse customer base.
1. Architecture - Designing indoor ski slopes and leisure complexes inspired by industrial architecture presents opportunities for architects to showcase their skills and creativity.
2. Construction - Constructing indoor ski slopes and leisure complexes requires innovation in materials, techniques, and sustainability to optimize structural integrity and minimize environmental impact.
3. Entertainment and Hospitality - Developing leisure complexes that provide diverse entertainment, shopping, and dining experiences creates opportunities for businesses to attract both local and international clients and cater to their preferences and needs.