Macy’s recently teamed up with the online consignment service thredUP to give customers the opportunity to exchange old clothing and shoes for gift cards. Following in the footsteps of retailers such as H&M, the new initiative caters to the growing shift towards sustainable shopping.
The new Macy's promotion allows customers to give their old garments a new life by sending them to those who can use them. To do so, customers need to order a Clean Out Kit from the store's website. After they've added their unwanted garments to the package, they simply drop it off at their local USPS or FedEx Office. thredUP then reviews the garments to determine the appropriate value for the Macy's gift card the sender will receive. Items that are not accepted by thredUP can be returned to the sender or donated to local thrift stores, wholesalers and charities.
By giving customers the opportunity to exchange unwanted clothing, Macy's is promoting a more sustainable form of shopping.
The New Macy’s Promotion Allows Customers to Exchange Old Clothes
1. Sustainable Shopping - Macy's partnership with thredUP promotes the growing shift towards sustainable shopping.
2. Second-hand Clothing - The initiative allows customers to give their old clothing a new life.
3. Online Consignment - Macy's collaboration with thredUP taps into the popularity of online consignment services.
1. Retail - Macy's initiative showcases a disruptive innovation opportunity for the retail industry in promoting sustainable shopping.
2. Fashion - The trend of second-hand clothing provides an opportunity for the fashion industry to explore new business models centered around sustainability.
3. Online Retail - The partnership between Macy's and thredUP reflects the online retail industry's potential to support the second-hand clothing market.