After the Brexit referendum made official Britain's intention to exit the European Union, many 'Remain' voters have been outspoken about the decision, and famed political street artist Banksy has decided to weigh in on the issue with an EU-themed mural in his idiosyncratic, graphic style. The artist created a mural on the side of a building in Dover, England, featuring the image of a worker chipping away at one of the gold stars on the European Union flag.
In the EU-themed mural, a greyish worker visually in line Banksy's gestural style stands atop a ladder. He holds a mallet and a chisel and appears to be chipping one of the stars from the banner. Pointedly, the cracks from this work spread across the rest of the flag.
Banksy Posted a New EU-Themed Mural in Dover, England
1. Political Street Art - Opportunities for other political street artists to express their opinions on world issues and engage public discourse.
2. Brexit-inspired Art - Opportunities for artists to create thought-provoking pieces that comment on Britain's decision to leave the EU and its ongoing impact.
3. Graffiti Advocacy - Opportunities for graffiti art to be viewed as a legitimate form of expression in the public sphere and integrated into the contemporary art scene.
1. Art and Design - Opportunities for artists to use their work as a platform to make political commentary and engage with societal issues.
2. Politics and Government - Opportunities for politicians and policymakers to engage with street art as a means of understanding public sentiment on important issues.
3. Tourism and Travel - Opportunities for cities and municipalities to promote street art as a form of cultural tourism, attracting visitors and increasing their revenues.