The two reasons people often cite for not shopping more ethically is a difficulty in finding socially responsible brands and cost. DoneGood's Chrome extension seeks to solve both problems. The company's plugin is super easy to use -- users shop online like they normally would, and DoneGood suggests alternatives based on the kind of product being searched for. Working automatically in the background, it displays an alert when searching on Google, Amazon or visiting a big-name brand's website.
The start-up is also hoping to help shoppers save some money while they do some good. Though the products and companies they highlight almost always offer a more unique, higher-quality alternative, it has partnered with dozens of socially responsible brands to offer exclusive discounts to users.
First released in November, the company recently released version 2.0 of its extension featuring a slick new design, values badges like "supports workers" and "organic/non-GMO" and even a boycott feature that alerts users when visiting a company that sells product that may not be in line with their values. DoneGood also has an app available for iPhone and Android for those who prefer shopping from a mobile device.
DoneGood's Chrome Plugin Suggests Alternatives When Shopping Online
1. Ethical Shopping - The trend of consumers seeking out socially responsible brands and products.
2. Online Shopping Extensions - The trend of using browser plugins to enhance the online shopping experience and provide personalized recommendations.
3. Discounts for Ethical Shopping - The trend of offering exclusive discounts and incentives to encourage consumers to choose socially responsible brands.
1. E-commerce - An industry that can benefit from the disruptive innovation of ethical shopping extensions by attracting conscious consumers and helping them make ethical purchasing choices.
2. Software Development - Industry professionals can explore opportunities in creating and improving online shopping extensions like DoneGood's Chrome plugin.
3. App Development - An industry that can capitalize on the trend of mobile shopping by developing apps that provide a seamless shopping experience for consumers who prefer to shop from their mobile devices.