Whether or not you tuned in to watch the 2014 Super Bowl game, if you happened to be on Twitter afterwards, someone in your newsfeed was probably tweeting about Esurance.
Buying a Super Bowl commercial is extremely costly and there's no way of telling how an ad will be received by the large audiences watching. Esurance took a different approach to advertising around the game and bought ad space after the big event, estimating that it saved about $1.5 million dollars.
There were a ton of tweets featuring the "EsuranceSave30" hashtag, because Esurance decided to hold a Twitter sweepstakes and share the $1.5 million they saved, which is roughly 30% of the cost of a 30-second Super Bowl ad spot. The campaign is a brilliant one, since plenty of Twitter users want to instantly become a millionaire just for using a certain hashtag.
The Esurance Post-Super Bowl Commercial Generated a Ton of Hype
1. Hashtag Sweepstakes - Businesses can leverage social media to hold hashtag sweepstakes as a cost-efficient and effective marketing tactic.
2. Post-event Advertising - Opportunities exist for businesses to capitalize on advertising after a popular event to save costs and still reach a wide audience.
3. User-generated Content - Businesses can encourage user-generated content by holding Twitter contests and sweepstakes, creating engagement and increasing brand awareness.
1. Marketing - The marketing industry can benefit from implementing hashtag sweepstakes and other social media-driven tactics for clients to increase brand awareness and engagement.
2. Advertising - The advertising industry can explore the possibility of post-event advertising as a method of cost-saving and reaching larger audiences.
3. Social Media - Social media platforms can collaborate with businesses to promote features that encourage user-generated content, such as hashtag contests and sweepstakes.