In an effort to cater to the growing number of consumers cutting back on carbs, Jimmy Dean has debuted breadless egg sandwiches. In light of the new product, the chain is going a step further to petition the Merriam-Webster dictionary to change the definition of "sandwich" to include bread-free varieties.
Planned just ahead of National Sandwich Day, Jimmy Dean is calling on the dictionary to change its definition of sandwich to one that is more inclusive of breadless options such as the cain's new Egg'wiches. Unlike traditional egg sandwiches, the Egg'wiches feature various meats and cheese flanked by two egg frittatas. The result is a low-carb, high protein version of a classic breakfast sandwich.
For those who agree that the term sandwich should include breadless options, there is an online petition currently up on change.org.
Image Credit: Jimmy Dean.
Jimmy Dean's New Egg'wiches are Made with Frittatas Instead of Buns
1. Breadless Breakfast Sandwiches - Opportunity to create new breadless breakfast sandwich varieties to cater to carb-conscious consumers.
2. Petition for Expanding Food Definitions - Opportunity for restaurants and food companies to take part in similar petitions to expand the definitions of food and cater to evolving consumer preferences.
3. Low-carb High-protein Foods - Opportunity for the food industry to market and create more low-carb high-protein options for consumers.
1. Fast Food - Fast food companies can innovate their menus to include more breadless options to cater to the health-conscious consumer.
2. Restaurant - Restaurants can offer more low-carb high-protein options to target health-conscious and fitness-oriented customers.
3. Food Retail - Retailers can market and stock up on low-carb high-protein foods and snacks to cater to the growing health-conscious consumer base.