Highlighting the issue of domestic abuse in an incredibly creative way, the 'Don't Cover it Up' video is an alarming call to action.
The organization behind this stunt is Refuge, a hotline and support system for those facing issues of violence at home. Lauren Luke, the woman featured in the video, is actually a very popular personality on YouTube, known for her makeup tutorials. This tutorial, however, featured Lauren made up as a victim and teaching her viewers how to cover up their bruises from domestic altercations.
The entire video plays out in a very matter-of-fact way. Interestingly, it doesn't become clear that this is a PSA until the very end of the clip. Already getting much attention on the blogosphere, this was an ingenious move that is sure to help raise awareness.
The 'Don't Cover it Up' Video is Powerful
1. Domestic Abuse Awareness - The trend of creating thought-provoking content like the 'Don't Cover it Up' video presents an opportunity for companies to help raise awareness of domestic violence and support services.
2. Using Social Media Influencers for Social Good - The trend of popular YouTubers like Lauren Luke using their platforms for social good presents an opportunity for companies to collaborate with influencers to promote social causes.
3. Creative Psas for Social Issues - The trend of creating creative PSAs for social issues presents an opportunity for companies and organizations to leverage creative marketing strategies to increase awareness and engagement around important social causes.
1. Beauty Industry - The Beauty industry can work with organizations like Refuge to create products and campaigns that help empower victims of domestic abuse and raise awareness on the issue.
2. Social Media Industry - The Social Media industry can leverage popular influencers and content creators to spread awareness about social issues and promote support systems for victims of domestic abuse.
3. Non-profit Industry - Non-profit organizations like Refuge can utilize creative marketing strategies to increase awareness and engagement around important social causes like domestic abuse while also promoting their services to victims.