Thinking about just how small the earth is in comparison to the rest of the galaxy is something not many of us might think about, but the 'Distance to Mars' website helps put the space between our planet and the red one in perspective.
The site works by starting at earth and travelling to the moon. From here, the user is sped at three times the speed of light towards the red planet. The demonstration helps to show us not only how small we are, but the expansive distance that exists between our planet and everything else out there.
Created by David Paliwoda and Jesse Williams, 'Distance to Mars' is a delight for curious minds young and old, but be warned; travelling such a distance so fast is a bit dizzying.
'Distance to Mars' Calculated Just How Far the Red Planet is from Earth
1. Galactic Perspective - Opportunities for educational platforms and virtual reality experiences that provide users with a sense of the vastness of the galaxy and our place within it.
2. Space Tourism - Potential for the development of commercial space travel companies that offer trips to destinations beyond Earth, such as Mars.
3. Cosmic Education - Rise in demand for interactive tools and educational programs that teach individuals about the wonders of space and the scale of the universe.
1. Edtech - Disruptive innovation opportunities in the edtech industry by creating immersive learning experiences that teach students about space and the universe.
2. Space Exploration - Opportunities for companies in the space exploration industry to capitalize on the growing interest in space tourism and offer commercial trips to destinations like Mars.
3. Virtual Reality - Potential for virtual reality companies to create immersive experiences that allow users to explore the universe and gain a better understanding of our place in it.