The Dependencies Collection from Nendo is an artful set of furniture intentionally designed to be structurally unstable. Nendo's latest work explores the relationship between furniture and the objects placed upon them. Furniture is normally designed to be stable regardless of outside forces. Nendo's new collection flips this school of thought on its head by rendering each piece in the Dependencies Collection unable to function without the aid of other objects.
The styling of all of these pieces are minimal, yet they still manage to draw in the wandering eye with their unconventional design. The table of the Dependencies Collection can only function when weighed down while the bookshelf is only stable when a small square filled with books is placed strategically between its two planks. The small cabinet cannot be closed without an object in front of its door and the lamp must be weighted down with blocks.
The Dependencies Collection may be too artful to be functional, but it's fun to see furniture designed to be incomplete/ suffering from separation anxiety.
The Dependencies Collection Consists of Needy Tables and Lamps
1. Structurally Unstable Furniture - Opportunity for creating furniture that intentionally challenges traditional stability for artistic or conceptual purposes.
2. Unconventional Design - Opportunity for designing furniture with minimal styling that still captures attention through unconventional and unique aesthetics.
3. Dependent Furniture - Opportunity for creating furniture that relies on the support or interaction with other objects to function properly.
1. Furniture Design - Opportunity for furniture designers to explore new artistic concepts and challenge traditional notions of functionality.
2. Interior Design - Opportunity for interior designers to incorporate structurally unstable furniture pieces and unconventional designs into their projects.
3. Art and Home Decor - Opportunity for artists and home decor brands to create visually striking, concept-driven furniture collections.