New York-based designer Alexander Wang unveiled his COLLECTION 1 series at his latest runway show on the rooftop of Pier 19 in Manhattan. The chosen location set the premise for the collection's overarching theme, which is a concept that lies between an American dream stemmed from immigrant roots. The message was translated throughout the show through ambiance such as music, closing the show with Childish Gambino's 'This is America.' The theme was drawn from Wang's upbringings as a descendant with immigrant roots who found pride in being an American.
The collection itself expressed an archetype of America that was satirical, with an 80s/90s vibe infused with NYC tourist wear. Some of the highlights of COLLECTION 1 are definitely the cropped shirts, low-ride jeans, head bandanas and slinky chainmail bibs, all nodding to the earlier eras. Additional throwback aesthetics include large-fitting jerseys, ripped denim and leather jackets. Some American-inspired details are the incorporations of bolo ties and paisley prints in reference to the cultural merge that is NYC's foundation.
Alexander Wang's New COLLECTION 1 Exudes American Pride
1. Immigrant-american Fusion - Opportunity for designers to create collections that blend immigrant heritage with American culture, reflecting the diversity and pride of the nation.
2. Nostalgic Americana Fashion - Potential for fashion brands to tap into the nostalgia trend and create collections that pay homage to 80s/90s American fashion.
3. Satirical Patriotism - Chance for designers to explore satirical elements in their collections, using fashion as a form of social commentary on American identity and pride.
1. Fashion - The fashion industry can incorporate immigrant heritage into their designs and embrace nostalgic American fashion trends.
2. Art and Culture - The art and culture industry can explore the use of satire and social commentary in fashion collections that express American identity.
3. Textile and Print - The textile and print industry can create innovative designs that blend immigrant motifs with traditional American prints, incorporating diverse cultural influences.