'In the Shadow of a Man,' a new set of light fixtures from London-based Child Studio, uses lines and shapes to deceive those looking at it. The collection features spherical lamps resting atop brightly colored sculptural daises, but those platforms are all canted at sharp angles. Though the spheres are fixed in place, they look as though they should be rolling down the slanted surfaces, giving the lights a distinct dynamism.
Aside from the illusion of movement, one of the key design features of Child Studio's lights is the way in which they reflect light. The plinths are all finished with a varnished sheen that bounces and distorts the lamps' light. That distortion is especially apparent in the two fixtures shaped like a concave ramp; those pieces are ideal for spreading light across a wide area.
Child Studio's 'In the Shadow of a Man' Features Angled Surfaces
1. Illusionary Lighting - Opportunity to create light fixtures that use lines and shapes to deceive the viewer and create a dynamic visual effect.
2. Reflective Surfaces - Opportunity to design light fixture platforms with varnished sheen that bounce and distort light, creating unique and visually captivating effects.
3. Dynamic Design - Opportunity to create light fixtures with canted angles and spherical lamps that give the illusion of movement, adding a sense of dynamism to the space.
1. Interior Design - Opportunity for interior designers to incorporate illusionary lighting fixtures into residential and commercial spaces, creating visually stunning and immersive environments.
2. Lighting Design - Opportunity for lighting designers to experiment with reflective surfaces and dynamic designs, pushing the boundaries of traditional lighting concepts.
3. Art Installations - Opportunity for artists to create interactive and visually engaging light installations that play with perception and movement.