Located in Toronto, Canada, the Centre for Social Innovation (CSI) is a social business that fosters global social innovation. Their belief is that through new ideas, we can work to eradicate the social, economic, environment and cultural problems that we face on a daily basis. CSI offers workspaces, hosts events and workshops and creates conditions so that people with new ideas can be exposed to networks of innovators and resources that will produce successful goals.
The Centre for Social Innovation is explicitly aware of the debated definitions of social innovation, and with that in mind, have come up with a simple definition as “an idea that works for the public good.”
What began in 2003 as simply an idea, the Centre for Social Innovation now offers a space of knowledge in downtown Toronto, a space which has had over 10,000 guests since its start and hosted hundreds of workshops. Today, CSI houses almost 100 social mission groups, who work in fields including the arts, social justice, environment and education. Because of this diverse mix of areas of innovation, what makes CSI special is its explicit dependence on community. All of CSI’s dynamic members collaborate with each other to grow and learn from one another. From the physical community in the office space to the global community of social innovation, CSI is a valuable resource that will help anyone create social change.
What is so great about CSI, is that they work with a variety of people, individuals and organizations who work in the for-profit, nonprofit and public sectors. Through this collaboration and productive mix of people, the Centre creates new spaces with help from the best of the best in all fields to, as the Centre for Social Innovation itself puts it, “become a catalyst for social change.”
Centre for Social Innovation Website
215 Spadina Avenue, Suite 120
The Centre for Social Innovation Promotes New Ideas
1. Community-driven Workspaces - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Developing collaborative workspaces that foster community and knowledge sharing for individuals and organizations across different sectors.
2. Social Innovation - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Promoting and implementing new ideas that work for the public good to address social, economic, environmental, and cultural challenges.
3. Networking and Collaboration - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Creating platforms and resources that connect innovators and provide opportunities for collaboration and learning.
1. Co-working Spaces - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Transforming traditional office spaces into community-driven, collaborative workspaces that cater to a diverse range of professionals.
2. Social Enterprises - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Building businesses that integrate social and environmental goals to promote positive change.
3. Event Management - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Revolutionizing event planning and hosting to facilitate meaningful connections, knowledge exchange, and innovation.